Friday, August 19, 2011

Short Story - The Ghost

I walk out of the store pushing my cart full of groceries when he appears.
He's walking towards me with his big shit eating grin.
“No” I say as he comes closer to me.
He laughs, “What’s up dork?”
“No. No. No.” I say quietly as I open my trunk to put my bags in.
I look around for his white truck.
He stands there, with the smile still on his face and asks “Whats wrong with you?
“You are not doing this to me. I let you go. I’m moving on…” I start pushing the cart to the cart rack.
 I feel it getting harder to breathe.
I can feel the tears starting to well up in my eyes.
I walk quickly back to my car and pass him. He’s just standing there with that damn smile.
“No, Brendan. I was in a coma for 6 months and you never came back. Now that I have moved on, you are not going to take me back down.
I actually felt ok – telling him no.
I was back to breathing normal and the tears never came.
He wasn't mad. He just kept smiling.
“No”, I said one more time and drove off in my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment